Fundraisers: An Overview
There’s a delicate balance between raising the funds we need to sustain the excellent programs at KMES and not over-taxing our parent volunteers and generous donors. KMAP has been working towards a goal of minimizing and distributing the number of fundraisers we have. Mark your calendars for the following and click on each one for more details:
- Labor Day Art Fair (September) Labor Day Weekend (and the Saturday before it) is a Big Deal for KMES. Not only do we sell our famous cookies (that we bake at a commercial bakery the week before) and host a face-painting booth, but also count on a generous grant from the Kings Mountain Art Fair Board. Almost 70% of our income each year comes from this weekend.
- Voluntary Tuition Drive (October) Introduced in 2016 and successful enough to repeat, our Voluntary Tuition Drive gives families a chance to directly donate to the school in order to cut down on the number of fundraisers we hold. It’s very straightforward: for one week in October, we ask families to give what they can with a suggested donation per student, and the possibility to “Buy Out” of the rest of our fundraisers by donating the total amount that we spend per child each year.
- Sweetheart Social (February) For ten years, this event was held in November and known as the “Autumn Affair.” We decided to try something new in 2017 and held it during February, a slower time of year and a time most of us could use a night out to connect with community and celebrate good food, friends, and music. On a Saturday night in February, we’ll dust off our dancing shoes and plan to eat, drink, mingle, and come home with a great package from the auction or raffle bar.
- Mountain House Dinner (April) Another example of the generous support KMES receives from the community, the beloved neighborhood establishment Mountain House donates 50% of its proceeds for the evening to KMES. On a Thursday evening in April, all we have to do is simply show up and eat! It’s a great way to take a night off from making dinner, catch up with other families outside of school, and raise money for our kids!
- Fund Run (June) Like a lap-a-thon without the pressure, in the weeks leading up to the event students collect donations from neighbors and family and run laps for a set amount of time during the annual end-of-year picnic. This takes place on a Friday during the school day and includes an all-school picnic and field day.